Women’s Resource Center Programs
The foundation of the Women’s Resource Center’s operations is its Resource and Referral Program. We’ll help you find the community resources you need so that you can take care of yourself and your families. Whether you need food, clothing or shelter, or help with starting a new business, we know the people and programs that will get you there.
For more information about our programs, click on each of the links below:
- Resource and Referral
We listen to you, find out what you need, and help you create a plan of action using our community’s existing resources.
- Cause Advocacy
The Women’s Resource Center is increasingly called upon to work on system-wide issues affecting women and girls such as poverty, health care, domestic violence, cancer prevention, substance abuse and more. We are looked to as “the voice” for women. Center staff and volunteers provide their expertise to variety of initiatives working on behalf of women and girls.
- Business Programs
We work with the Southwest Colorado Small Business Development Center at Fort Lewis College to provide business counseling and planning.
- Get Your Girl Power: A free, one-day conference in February for fourth- and fifth-grade girls in La Plata County that introduces them to the skills and mindsets that will foster a love of education and the desire to obtain a career to become economically self-sufficient, contributing members of their communities.
- Girls to Women, Women to Girls: A free, one-day conference in April for eighth-graders in La Plata County that prepares them for the challenges they face as freshmen in high school. Topics include media literacy, personal safety, life and career choices, interpersonal relationships, and bullying intervention techniques.
- Financial Support to Continue Your Education: We offer a scholarship to Fort Lewis College and funding for women to obtain their GEDs or take other educational and training programs that will help them achieve economic self-sufficiency. Applications for an Educational Opportunity Fund grant are due by the first Friday of each month. Only completed applications will be reviewed, so read the application requirements carefully. You will be notified of an award decision by the last Friday of the month.
- Download an application as a .pdf file.
- Fort Lewis College Scholarships: Contact the Fort Lewis College Foundation for Women’s Resource Center Scholarship applications:
Fort Lewis College Foundation
1000 Rim Drive
Durango, CO 81301
- Connecting Women
We’ll connect you with other women through interesting programs like our Empowerment Workshop Series and other opportunities.
We rely on volunteers to help with day-to-day office operations, special events, and other activities. You’ll meet a great community of men and women when you volunteer.
This grassroots fund-raising program assists women and families with funds to overcome unexpected emergencies.
Womenade is a grassroots fund-raising program that provides emergency funding.